Stonewall work with a range of agencies to address the needs of lesbians, gay men and bisexuals and offer advice and support to over 600 organisations including Barclays, Barnardos and the Royal Navy. Our application submitted by the patient safety and quality team, has identified Jenny Winslade, chief nursing officer as our Champion for the programme who will work jointly to support staff and our community's needs.
Research has demonstrated that lesbian, gay and bisexual people face significant health inequalities as well as discrimination when accessing health services. Stonewall's Programme, funded by the Department of Health, will provide free support to NHS NEW Devon CCG for one year to improve health services and will offer practical advice to help us achieve real improvements in the care we provide.
As a Health Champion we will receive:
- Consultancy support worth over £6,500
- A free initial needs assessment based on Stonewall health research
- Support to establish a lesbian, gay and bisexual network group for staff
- Access to NHS specific training on sexual orientation equality
- Support entering the Stonewall Healthcare Equality Index to benchmark progress year on year
- A benchmarking meeting to identify next steps at the end of the programme
NHS Northern, Eastern and Western Devon Clinical Commissioning Group is one of just five CCGs in England in 2013/14 and the only CCG in the south west to be accepted to join the Stonewall Health Champion programme. Participation in the programme comes at no cost to the CCG and Stonewall will provide free consultancy time.
Find out more information about Stonewall here and the Stonewall Health Champions here.