Indigestion and heartburn

Did you know that you do not always need to see a doctor for indigestion or heartburn symptoms?
Community pharmacists can offer advice on how to ease your symptoms

Where can I buy treatments?

You can buy indigestion and heartburn medicines for little cost from pharmacies and supermarkets.

Speak to your local pharmacist for advice.

When do I need to see a doctor?

Most people will not need to seek medical advice for their indigestion.
However, see your GP if you have recurring indigestion and any of the following apply: 

•you are 55 years old or over 

•you have lost a lot of weight without meaning to 

•you have increasing difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) 

•you have persistent vomiting 

•you have iron deficiency anaemia 

•you have a lump in your stomach 

•you have blood in your vomit or blood in your stools

The above information has been taken from NHS Choices. Click here to visit the site for more details

Where can I find more information about indigestion and heartburn?

Click on the link here to access indigestion and heartburn fact sheets from the Self Care Forum.

You can visit the Self Care Forum  anytime to obtain useful information on any self care treatments. 

Indigestion and heartburn poster

Rate this page